Heart rate monitors are really picking up steam as far as a great technique to help us all in our exercise regimen. It’s important to know your stats, calories burned, fat burned, etc. The more you can customize to your own particular type of exercise regimen the better it is and the more likely you are to continue, right?
Well, we’ve been hearing a lot about the Polar FT7 lately so we decided to do a little Polar FT7 review, check out the Polar FT4 by comparison, and see where the FT7 really stacks up in the world of heart rate monitors. From what we are hearing, folks want to know and we’re here to help you find the answers. So, if you are ready let’s get you going on your way to fun and fitness monitored the right way.
Here are some of the important key points that folks want to know about. We will cover every one of these below during our investigation.
- -We’ll do a basic overview
- -Special & Smart features
- -Color choices
- -How does it compare to the Polar FT4?
Hopefully we haven’t missed any and we’ll be able to outline everything for you well enough that you can answer the questions you are having as well.
What is the Polar FT7: An Overview
A good basic description of the Polar FT7 is that it’s actually a pretty cool and innovative heart rate fitness watch. In fact, it goes way beyond just being a heart rate monitor. This is actually a training computer. (We will explain when we get to Special Features and Smart Features). It’s called a watch but really doesn’t look so much like one. It is sports savvy and designed to give you that active edge. The FT7 is water resistant and can even be worn during swimming though it’s not made for diving.
The color choices are pretty awesome so you can choose one or more to fit your mood and lifestyle. They come in:
- -Red / silver
- -Black / red
- -Black / gold
- -Black / silver
You can’t go wrong with the colors, but wait until you see the features. You’ll know this is the place to go for fitness help and training. Yep, in a watch. Amazing!
What are the Special Features of the Polar FT7?
Once we started looking at these features, it was hard to figure out what to tell you about the most so we don’t overwhelm you too much. So, what we’ve tried to do is pull out some key points for explanation and list the other main features. Our goal is to make sure we give you a good Polar FT7 review, but not do it with overkill. So here we go.
- -Body measurement – measure average and max heart rate. You can set target zones for your own personal training based on:
- -Beats per minute
- -Percentage of max heart rate
- -Percentage of heart rate reserve
- -Polar EnergyPointer – This is a fascinating Smart Feature because it will tell you whether you are using more of your training time on calorie burning or fat burning. You can use this as a tool to help you increase, decrease, and adjust your aerobic and fat burning activity. Not available on the FT4.
- -Polar OwnCal – counts your kcals (calories) across each session and cumulatively across many session as well
- -Polar OwnCode – A special Smart code transmission just from Polar. This locks in a specialized code so only your heart rate can be transmitted to your training computer.
- -Data transfer is available via Mac, PCs, or with polarpersonaltrainer.com FT7 only.
- -Polarpersonaltrainer.com has its own set of features including. This is truly your own personalized, computerized trainer at your disposal. FT7 only
- -Training analysis
- -Training diary –track by the session, the day, the week, or the month
- -Training load – a Polar software that helps you to figure out if you are doing enough or too much, the training load can help you in adjusting your degree of intensity and either shorten or lengthen your sessions as applicable.
- -Training programs – Of course the trainer could not be complete without optional training programs for everything from running to outdoor sports to general fitness tips and tricks.
- -Record keeping – Allow up to 99 training files to be stored along with a weekly history. FT4 holds only 10.
- -Special Training features
- -A hands-free button-free operation feature
- -When you have the HeartTouch on without pushing any buttons you can bring your training computer up close to the transmitter and information will transmi
- -Graphical target indicator – you can see graphically where your training falls into your zones
Now those are some pretty down and dirty stats on a product that is just chockfull of great technology to help you succeed. The out of the box package comes with the:
- -Polar FT7 training computer
- -Polar FT7 get started guide book
- -Polar H1 heart rate sensor
What are People Saying about the FT7?
While investigating the options available and the potential for really helping with training and workouts, the Polar FT7 comes in right in there at the top level for quality, features, training support, and durability. Here are a couple of user’s responses on what they really think about the Polar FT7 after using it awhile.
- -No complaints about this heart rate monitor… It works as promised without any difficulties. I’ve had other monitors in the past that have been much tougher to get a reading on my heart rate. An added bonus — many of the cardio machines at the gym pick up the heart rate signal automatically, so you don’t even need to look down at the watch that much! -EPTheBigGuy from LA
- -I am really pleased with this HR monitor watch. Being a woman, I wanted something sturdy yet not so big it dominated my arm. This fits the bill – very adjustable size wize (both the watch and the chest strap). I am average height, but carry most of my weight in my stomach. The chest strap fits very comfortably to me, and the new feature of being able to simply wet the cloth contacts is great (I was used to the old school hard plastic contacts). According to the product information, you can actually wash the chest strap in the washer – haven’t tried it yet. –JR
Wow, that sounds like one heck of an exercise buddy doesn’t it? According to reviews around the world, if you are really interested in a monitor that can keep up with you, encourage you, and tell you what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong and how to fix it, then the Polar FT7 is the heart rate monitor for you.
The Bottom Line
The only decision left to be made is are you worth it and are you willing to put yourself out there to say so? If you are, we’d be happy to help you get started experiencing the only and only Polar FT7.